Budget 2024 - Considering a Referendum
South Milwaukee schools are currently exploring whether or not to pursue an operational referendum. The details about why are below.
Reduced Revenue + Increased Costs = Deficit Spending
The South Milwaukee School Board approved a preliminary budget in September that deficit spends - which means projected costs are anticipated to be more than revenues. The district can run a deficit by using a source of money called fund balance - a type of savings account the District uses to bridge times between when money comes into the District from the state and local taxes and when bills are due. Although using fund balance can be used for short term financial problems, it does not address the reoccurring deficit problem which is projected for future years.
- What is an Operational Referendum?
- What is the format of the Rocket Fuel for Thought Event?
- Hasn't the School Board Already Decided to Go to Referendum?
- Why Are We Even Talking About A Referendum?
- How Did We Afford the New Sports Fields?
- What about Pandemic (ESSER) Funds?
- What will happen if the district cannot meet its financial needs?